Thursday, March 27, 2014

DIY Chair reupholstery...and recent custom work!


Hello again everyone! It's nice to be back with you all.

Business has been even busier than before, and I'm glad I've gotten on top of scheduling before the wedding season hit! I'm so excited to be able to alter and create wedding gowns and bridesmaid dresses. I realized how much I missed working with lots of brides over the winter.  

Anyways, on my spare time ( late Sunday nights) I finally decided it was time to redo my chairs that customers sit and wait on in my shop. 

Here's how they originally looked: 

I then stripped it down... 

Then with the help of my little niece  we painted the wood white... 


I then cut the basic shapes of the fabric and began to staple! It was actually quite basic upholstery, just stretching properly and stapling in place! 

Now I just have to finish it with double piping! But for now... It's in my shop and looks gorgeous with the decor. 



And here are a few pictures of my recent happenings! 

One of my students projects! She made this for a recent wedding in a matter of weeks... And she's 14 years old! 

Fitted slipcovers for 2 armless wingbacks... 


Couch reupholstery...

Custom Drapes:


A preschool drawn quilt for an auction! 

And fun with my little helpers today!




Until we talk again!...

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sewing Studio Organization upgrade..

Daily I work and take in all sorts of different types of projects. From hemming jeans, to replacing zippers, to wedding gowns.

As I took on more work my storage area for my jobs was becoming a little disorganized. No matter how hard I tried to keep it looking neat, it never looked good. One day I was at my friends house and she was showing me her recent Ikea purchases. AS she told me about her great experience and how much she liked the quality and the price, I decided it was time for me to do some browsing.

I looked for a couple weeks at all there different sets and combinations, keeping in mind the size a wall space I had, as well as the types of storage I needed, cubes, drawers, cabinets etc... As I looked I realized in all this I could add another desk space as well. All that said, I made a trip to Ikea picked everything up, plus a lot extra and assembled it all within about one day.

I got all the furniture pieces, the fabric boxes, the baskets, lanterns, the buckets hanging on a rod, and picture frames.

Here's the reveal of my new space.But first the before picture, so you can really see the amount of upgrade I did.

BEFORE

My Helper

Assembling the glass cabinet at about midnight :)
After


The chalkboard isnt quite finished, but its in the general place i want it to be

hanging buckets and my diy bulletin board

Job storage

basket job storage



In my glass cabinet





pattern storage

A vintage portable sewing machine I found at an antique store

i added a play area for kids in the middle of the room

and yes this 3 tiered cart is also from ikea- got it from their kitchen section

And my new wool rug from Joss and Main



And to end on a side note... a visit from my niece Clara... in the coat we made Eloise for her first birthday... clara is only 6 months :)

Friday, January 10, 2014

Jordan's Cable Knit Hat...

I've been getting into knitting quite a bit. I finally decided to buckle down and learn how to do an earflap hat. Once I did one and realized how easy it really was, I whipped out 5 while on vacation over Christmas. Anyways, enough said. Here's one I made for Jordan Hier with a cable stitch pattern. I then decided to top it off with a large pom pom.
It is made out of a very nice soft alpaca wool.

Isn't he cute!




Thursday, January 2, 2014

DIY Bulletin Board

Hello everybody!  Yes I'm back to the blogging world- I will be keeping you posted at least once a week from now on!
I wanted to share with you this really easy project that makes any out dated bulletin board fit your room style! 

Here are the materials used: 

Bulletin board (Joann's -$3)
Fabric - 1/2 yd- $4
Thumbtacks- $2
Stapler and staples


Start with trimming your fabric to size...


Next put the fabric wrong side facing board. Then put a couple starter staples in one long end...
Then pull tightly on the other end and staple 

Once the long ends are stapled firmly- pull from side to side and staple the short ends. Be sure to keep staples on all end a couple inches away from each corner. 

Now to do the corners, pull the corner of the fabric in over the point of the corner of the board. Staple.
Then fold one flap over the corner and then the other flap. It should look like this
Trim your fabric and turn the board right side up.
Now measure and mark where you want your tacks and push them in! 


Finished!